.3.18 kWp Pezula Private Estate Grid-tied with backup with a lithium iron phosphate battery
Another Grid-tied solar system supplied and installed by Specialized Solar Systems using a lithium iron phosphate battery for PV generated energy storage.
Place: Pezula Private Estate
Installation time: 3 days
This solar system was made up of the following components supplied and installed by Specialized Solar Systems:
- 3 x 3kw Victron Multiplus inverters
- 1 x 10kW/7kW Usable high power Freedom Won HP Lithium battery
- 1 x 5kW Fronius Inverter
- 12 x 265watt Solar PV modules
- 1 x Victron Color control GX
About Grid-Tied Solar Systems
Grid-tied also be known as on-grid, utility-interactive and grid back feeding are all terms used to describe the same concept: a solar system that is connected to the utility electric power grid.
Advantages of Grid-Tied Systems
- A grid-connection will allow you to save more money with solar panels through better efficiency rates and lower equipment and installation costs. Batteries and other stand-alone equipment are required for a fully functional off-grid solar system. This adds to costs as well as maintenance. Grid-tied solar systems are generally much cheaper and also simpler to install.
- Homeowners can also put excess electricity back onto the utility grid instead of storing it themselves with batteries. This is done with special meters (if allowed in your area).
The utility grid is a virtual battery
Electricity should be used as it is generated. However, it can be temporarily stored as other forms of energy (e.g. chemical energy in batteries). Energy storage typically comes with significant costs.
The electric power grid is in many ways also a battery, without the need for maintenance or replacements, and with much better efficiency rates. In other words, more electricity (and more money) goes to waste with conventional battery systems.
Additional perks of being grid-tied include access to backup power from the utility grid in case extra power is required or if your solar system stops generating electricity for any reason. At the same time, you also help to mitigate the utility’s peak load.
Please contact Specialized Solar Systems for more information on Grid-Tied solar systems.