10kVA 36-48kWh per day off-grid solar system
The following solar system has been designed to supply you with a daily average of 48kWhs/day from your solar array and has a battery storage capacity to support 36kWhrs usage direct from the battery before reaching 27% DOD:
Off-grid power systems supply electricity to properties that are not connected to the public electricity network. These systems are independent power stations capable of powering a wide range of applications with dependable and reliable electricity that is no different to that supplied by the national electricity grid. Whether it be a small or large new or existing home, a station, business or an entire community that depends on large diesel generators, off-grid stand-alone power systems are commonly the reliable, clean, hassle free, cost competitive answer!
It is our recommendation that energy saving principles are put into practice and taken into consideration before such a system is purchased i.e. low wattage lighting, gas stove/geyser etc…
Solar Module Array
- To have an average input of 48kWh/day from your solar modules in George, South Africa. You will need a solar module array of 9000Watt. These solar modules have a 10year manufacturer’s product guarantee and a terrestrial 25year 80% yield.
NB. Solar yield is determined by location, orientation, shading and panel surface condition, system usage and weather condition.
34° Tilt Angle Facing North with full day exposure to the sun i.e. no shading.
Battery Storage Capacity
2760Amp 10-15year Lifespan, 2V Millennium Deep Cycle Batteries with interconnecting cables. These batteries will have the capacity in storage at 36kWh’s usage per day to cycle your system 27% maintaining system efficiency and battery lifespan, please note that actual cycle ratios may vary from installation to installation depending on system use.
Please note during daylight hour’s system runs off PV as Primary, Battery as secondary.
BMV-700 Precision Battery Monitoring
The essential function of a battery monitor is to calculate ampere-hours consumed and the state of charge of a battery. Ampere-hours consumed is calculated by integrating the current flowing in or out of the battery. In case of a constant current, this integration is equivalent to current multiplied by time. A discharge current of 10A during 2 hours, for example, amounts to 20Ah consumed. All our battery monitors are based on a powerful microprocessor, programmed with the algorithms needed for precision monitoring.
Standard information and alarms
- Battery voltage (V).
- Battery charge/discharge current (A).
- Ampere-hours consumed (Ah).
- State of charge (%).
- Time to go at the current rate of discharge.
- Visual and audible alarm: over- and under voltage, and/or battery discharged.
- Programmable alarm or generator start relay.
Solar Charge Controller – MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracking)
PV voltage up to 150 V
The Blue Solar MPPT 150/70 and 150/85 charge controllers will charge a lower nominal-voltage battery from a higher nominal voltage PV array. The controller will automatically adjust to a 12, 24, 36, or 48 V nominal battery voltage.
Ultra-fast Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT)
Especially in case of a clouded sky, when light intensity is changing continuously, an ultra-fast MPPT controller will improve energy harvest by up to 30% compared to PWM charge controllers and by up to 10% compared to slower MPPT controllers.
Advanced Maximum Power Point Detection in case of partial shading conditions
- If partial shading occurs, two or more maximum power points may be present on the power-voltage curve.
- Conventional MPPT’s tend to lock to a local MPP, which may not be the optimum MPP.
- The innovative Blue Solar algorithm will always maximize energy harvest by locking to the optimum MPP.
Outstanding conversion efficiency
Maximum efficiency exceeds 98%. Full output current up to 40°C (104°F).
Flexible charge algorithm
Several preconfigured algorithms.
One user programmable algorithm. Manual or automatic equalization. Battery temperature sensor. Battery voltage sense option.
Programmable auxiliary relay
For alarm or generator start purposes
Extensive electronic protection
Over-temperature protection and power derating when temperatures are high.
PV short circuit and PV reverse polarity protection.
Reverse current protection.
To parallel up to 25 units, to connect to a Color Control panel or to connect to a CAN bus network
PV short circuit and PV reverse polarity protection. Reverse current protection.
Pure Sine Wave Bi-Directional Inverter/Charger
1 x 10 000/48/140 Victron Quattro Inverter/Charger
- Continuous output power at 25’C (VA) per unit
- Continuous output power at 25’C (W) per unit
- Continuous output power at 40’C (W) per unit
- Peak Power (W) per unit
Two AC inputs with integrated transfer switch
The Quattro can be connected to two independent AC sources, for example, shore-side power and a generator, or two generators. The Quattro will automatically connect to the active source.
Two AC Outputs
- The main output has no-break functionality. The Quattro takes over the supply to the connected loads in the event of a grid failure or when shore/generator power is disconnected. This happens so fast (less than
- 20 milliseconds) that computers and other electronic equipment will continue to operate without disruption.
- The second output is live only when AC is available on one of the inputs of the Quattro. Loads that should not discharge the battery, like a water heater, for example, can be connected to this output.
Virtually unlimited power thanks to parallel operation
- Up to 10 Quattro units can operate in parallel. Ten units 48/10000/140, for example, will provide 90kW / 100kVAoutput power and 1400 Amps charging capacity.
Three phase capability
- Three units can be configured for three-phase output. But that’s not all: up to 10 sets of three units can be parallel connected to provide 270kW / 300kVA inverter power and more than 4000A charging capacity.
Power Control – Dealing with limited generator, shore-side or grid power
- The Quattro is a very powerful battery charger. It will, therefore, draw a lot of current from the generator or shore side supply (16A per 5kVA Quattro at 230VAC). A current limit can be set on each AC input. The Quattro will then take account of other AC loads and use whatever is spare for charging, thus preventing the generator or shore supply from being overloaded.
Power Assist – Boosting shore or generator power
- This feature takes the principle of Power Control to a further dimension allowing the Quattro to supplement the capacity of the alternative source. Where peak power is so often required only for a limited period, the Quattro will make sure that insufficient shore or generator power is immediately compensated for by power from the battery. When the load reduces, the spare power is used to recharge the battery.
Solar energy: AC power available even during a grid failure
The Quattro can be used in off grid as well as grid connected PV and other alternative energy systems.
System configuring has never been easier
After installation, the Quattro is ready to go.
If settings have to be changed, this can be done in a matter of minutes with a new DIP switch setting procedure.
Even parallel and 3-phase operation can be programmed with DIP switches: no computer needed!
Alternatively, VE.Net can be used instead of the DIP switches.
And sophisticated software (VE.Bus Quick Configure and VE.Bus System Configurator) is available to configure several new, advanced, features.
Victron Blue Power Color Control GX
The Color Control provides intuitive control and monitoring for all products connected to it. The list of Victron products that can be connected is endless: Inverters, Multi’s, Quattro’s, all our latest MPPTs, BMV-600, BMV-700, Lynx Ion and even more.
VRM Online Portal
Besides monitoring and controlling products on the Color Control GX, the information is also forwarded to our free remote monitoring website: the VRM Online Portal. To get an impression of the VRM Online Portal, visit https://vrm.victronenergy.com/, and try our demo. See also the kWh dashboard screenshot further down in this datasheet.
The Color Control has endless possibilities. To implement all our ideas and wishes will take years. There are therefore many features that are not yet available. Functions marked with ‘Future function’ will become available later on, as a firmware update. Firmware updates are free of charge, as with all Victron products. Updating the product is easy: the Color Control GX will update itself automatically, as long as it is connected to the internet. Manual updates can be done with a USB stick and micro SD cards.
Summary of Equipment:
- 9000Watt Solar Modules [10Year Guarantee, 25Year 80% Yield]
- 66240Amp hour 2V Cells with take-off leads, battery floats, log book, distilled water x 20L drum, interconnecting cables and hydrometer [1Year Guarantee, 10-15Year Lifespan]
- 170Amp MPPT (Maximum Power Point Tracker) [5Year Manufacturer Guarantee]
- 1 x Victron BMV700 Precision Battery Monitor [5Year Manufacturer Guarantee]
- Victron Blue Power Color Control GX [5Year Manufacturer Guarantee]
- 1 x 10Kw 48V 140 Victron Quattro Inverter/Charger [5Year Manufacturer Guarantee]
- System Programming and Maintenance/Owner Training
- Additional Costs: Installation Costs and Consumables [1Year Workmanship Guarantee]
All prices quoted excluding VAT. A 50% deposit is payable on acceptance of quote. Delivery of products should take place 4 to 6 weeks from 50% deposit. All equipment remains the property of Specialized Solar Systems until fully paid. Equipment installed and installations carry a one year guarantee.